Be Aware Of Carbon Monoxide Levels In Your Home

co_image_reese.jpg

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that can seep into your home and be fatal if inhaled in large amounts. You can't see or smell carbon monoxide gas, which makes it even more dangerous. Testing the air and installing CO detectors will help keep your family safe. 

Carbon Monoxide and Your Health
How carbon monoxide affects your health depends on the amount of carbon monoxide exposure and on how long the exposure lasts. Carbon monoxide poisoning can quickly turn serious, with nausea and vomiting.

 Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
A carbon monoxide detector is a must for any home and just as important as a smoke detector. CO detectors should be placed near all bedrooms; they’re the only way you will know if carbon monoxide is affecting the air quality in your home, and can help prevent serious illness and even death.

Always follow all the manufacturer’s directions, including how often the unit will need to be replaced. Research the models before you buy to choose one that rated highest in tests.  Reese Services strongly recommends the Bryant Carbon Monoxide Alarm.  It features a large digital display, loud audible alarm, and a 7 year limited warranty.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, using a carbon monoxide detector is only a part of effective prevention. Also be sure all fuel-burning appliances get regular maintenance and are working properly. Reese Services recommends a regular maintenance check on your furnace.  To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide in your home, follow these tips:

  • Keep all gas appliances in your home working properly and inspect them often.
  • Have your furnace and entire heating system inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.
  • Quickly repair any leaks in your central heating system.

It's important to take these safety precautions to make sure that you keep carbon monoxide out of your home. Carbon monoxide monitors, used in conjunction with preventive safety tips, can help you keep you and your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.