“I’ll do it tomorrow,” - The common refrain we say when tasked with changing our air filter on our AC unit. As your HVAC experts, we made a short list of what can really happen when you put off changing your air filter. First and foremost, if you don’t change your filter, dust bunnies will attack you while you sleep. Clearly that isn’t true, but we needed to grab your attention somehow. Here are the real consequences of not changing that filter:
- Your efficiency rating goes down and your energy bill will go up. A dirty air filter forces your AC to work harder in order to push air through, which dramatically increases your system’s energy consumption. Overall your AC will lack in performance when fighting a dirty air filter.
- You risk overheating and breakdowns. Because a dirty filter forces your HVAC system to work harder than it’s designed to, your system has the potential of overheating and breaking down.
- Indoor Air Quality goes down as dirty air bypasses the filter. When return air is blocked by a dirty filter, that unfiltered air will redirect and bypass your filter. That means that dirt can build up on your system and its coils, and your home’s air will be less healthy to breathe. This is especially important if you have pets or individuals with allergies in the household.
- Damage to the compressor or blower motor. Blowers and motors circulate the household air. When these stop working, your air is no longer being pushed around.
- Coils can become frozen or the whole system can freeze up. Since a dirty filter allows dirt to build up on your coils, your system will not be able to transfer air as effectively and your coils can easily freeze up.
Replacing the filter is an easy way to lengthen the life of your heating and air conditioning system. A dirty air filter is your first line of defense against break downs or having to replace the system altogether. It is a task that takes about 5 minutes to do but it can extend the life of your unit by years. Have you changed your filter lately? Sign up for one of our yearly service agreements HERE and we will make sure your unit is always in peak running condition. Call us today for a free consultation.