What you need to know about Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. When people are exposed to carbon monoxide gas it can lead to poisoning and/or death if it reaches high enough levels in your house. The CDC estimates that approximately four hundred people die from unintentional CO exposure in the United States every year. The good news is that carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented with simple actions such as installing a carbon monoxide alarm and properly maintaining fuel burning appliances.

Carbon monoxide is produced whenever a material burns. Homes with fuel-burning appliances or attached garages are more likely to have carbon monoxide problems. Does your home have a CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR? If so, it is important to check the device’s batteries on a regular basis. The typical lifespan of a carbon monoxide alarm is between five and seven years. Reese Services can help you purchase a new detector. We will also install it in a location inside your home where it will operate at its optimum level.

Some common sources of carbon monoxide include fuel-burning appliances and devices such as:

  • Clothes dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Furnaces or boilers
  • Fireplaces, both gas and wood burning
  • Gas stoves and ovens
  • Wood stoves
  • Vehicles

For most people, the first signs of exposure to carbon monoxide include a mild headache and breathlessness with moderate exercise. Continued exposure can lead to more severe headaches, dizziness, fatigue and nausea. The elderly and young children are at a greater risk for carbon monoxide poisoning than adults.

Scroll to top